Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
Institute of Philosophy of Mind and Cognition, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University
Job Category: Faculty (open rank) / Tenure-track or similar
AOS: Analytic philosophy, preferably in one of the following two research areas:
(1) Interdisciplinary studies in ethics of artificial intelligence or engineering ethics: This category includes ethical, legal, political, social, and educational issues regarding artificial intelligence and engineering practice, such as coding bias, structural injustice, surveillance capitalism, automation and its impact on future jobs, human-machine interactions, and the use of technology in education.
(2) Interdisciplinary studies in the philosophy of medical technology: This category includes ethical, legal, political, social, and educational issues regarding technology in clinical medicine and care, such as stem cells, genetic testing, bias in medical technology, structural issues in the system of medical care, data privacy in healthcare, human research protection, and preparing talents for the future of medical technology.
Workload: Full time
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Start date: February 1, 2024
Assistant / Associate / Full Professor
The Institute of Philosophy of Mind and Cognition (IPMC) aims to educate a new generation of philosophers who specialize in cross-disciplinary research on mind and cognition. Specifically, our program is designed to train students to develop research topics that integrate resources from the philosophy of mind, the philosophy of science, cognitive neuroscience, and the biomedical sciences. Please see our website (https://phil.nycu.edu.tw/en/about/) for some additional information about IPMC.
Faculty members in IPMC are responsible for research, teaching, and service. Successful applicants must have a Ph.D. by the time of appointment, a solid research record, and the ability to teach courses in English. Faculty members are responsible for teaching at least two courses per semester: one general education course for undergraduates and one seminar for graduate students in our master’s degree program. Faculty members are also responsible for supervising graduate students. IPMC coordinates an undergraduate cross-disciplinary program called the Program for Philosophy, Intelligence, Brain, and Mind (https://phil.nycu.edu.tw/en/pibm/). Faculty members are also responsible for offering courses for this program.
For more information about National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, please visit: https://en.nycu.edu.tw/about/
How to apply
Application type: Email
Applicants should send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com:
- Dissertation or at least four representative academic works from within the past five years
- Research statement
- Statement of teaching philosophy (including relevant teaching experience, description of teaching methods, teaching evaluations)
- Four syllabi: two syllabi for graduate seminars for students in our master’s degree program, and two syllabi for undergraduate general education courses
Please combine the above materials into one pdf document. The file name should be the applicant’s last name, the applicant’s first name, and the words ‘Application Materials’ (e.g., SmithJaneApplicationMaterials.pdf). In the subject line of the email, please write the applicant’s last name, the applicant’s first name, and the words ‘Application for Advertised Position at IPMC’ (e.g., Smith Jane Application for Advertised Position at IPMC).
Applicants should also provide at least two letters of recommendation, which should be sent directly from the recommenders or their departments to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please request your recommenders or their departments to use the following file name: applicant’s last name, applicant’s first name, and the words ‘Recommendation Letter’ (e.g., SmithJaneRecommendationLetter.pdf). Please request your recommenders or their departments to write the following in the subject line of the email: applicant’s last name, applicant’s first name, and the words ‘Recommendation Letter’ (e.g., Smith Jane Recommendation Letter).
After submitting your materials, you should receive a confirmation email within three days. If you do not receive a confirmation email within three days, please contact Bella Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org), the secretary of IPMC.
After evaluating the applications, we will choose a number of applicants to interview (via Google Meet). We will not notify candidates who have not been chosen for the interview stage.
Email to apply: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for full consideration: June 30, 2023, 11:59 pm UTC+8:00
Hard deadline: June 30, 2023, 11:59 pm UTC+8:00
Contact name: Karen Yan, Director of Institute of Philosophy of Mind and Cognition
Contact email: email@example.com
This job ad is also announced on Phil Jobs: